Back to school after a significant break is always a good time to review important systems, procedures & expectations to ensure safety of all students, staff and visitors to Grand Ridge.
· Be mindful of your drop off or your child’s departure time from home (if walking or biking) in the morning. Adult supervision on campus starts at 8:50 am. Students are not to be on campus before that time, as there is no supervision.
· Use your cell phone outside of the Grand Ridge lot, and only when parked.
· Pull into the lot to drop off or pick up your child. The lane off Park Drive near Grand Central and the clock tower is for daycare vans only.
· Pull forward in the drop off lane and drop off or pick up your child at the farthest point south, past the main crosswalk. If you need to assist your child or get out of your car, park in a space. Do not do this in the drop off lane. Do not leave your car unattended in this area.
· Keep your speed low in the parking lot and watch for pedestrians at all times.
· Please use crosswalks at all times.
· Listen to the Paraprofessionals and Safety Patrol students. They all work hard to keep you and your children safe.
· Educate your children who are biking/scootering to school regarding the rules of the road, and etiquette with pedestrians on the crosswalk. Your child must wear a helmet if they choose to ride anything with wheels to school.
· Dress appropriately for the weather – rain or shine.
· Balls, stuffed animals or toys (Pokemon or Beyblades) brought to school from home are strongly discouraged. If lost, there is no guarantee these items will be located by school staff. It is also the discretion of the school staff to ask for the items to remain at home if they are causing a problem.
· Make sure your student knows if they have a home lunch or school lunch each day. If they are buying lunch, please make sure they also know what lunch choice they will order in the morning. Food in the lunchroom is not to be shared.
Cell Phones/Smart Watches
· When on campus, cell phones or smart watches are to be silenced or off and in backpacks.
· Please do not attempt to text or contact your child on their phone or smart watch during the school day – please call the office.
· Sign in to the office no matter how long you plan to stay.
· Wear your badge/sticker in a place for all to see.
· Follow volunteer expectations when on campus.
Due to space constraints, Grand Ridge Kindergarteners will attend school at either Challenger or Endeavour Elementary schools. The building assignment is based on your property address and will be made by our district transportation department.
Family Engineering night is Wednesday, February 12th from 6:00-8:00pm. It is a chance to have interactive STEM experiences and enjoy learning TOGETHER. The hands on activities promote the engineering process, scientific thinking, and an opportunity to learn and play as a family. Go to the Grand Ridge PTSA website (grandridgeptsa.org) to sign up to ensure we have enough materials for everyone!
Highly capable testing for second grade students will occur at all elementary schools January 14 through January 17 and continue March 10 through March 13. Students who are identified as “most highly capable” will be invited to enter either SAGE or MERLIN in the 2020-21 school year. Second grade students attending private or home-based schools are invited to participate. Contact your neighborhood school for more information about how to participate. More information about the Issaquah School District Highly Capable Program and testing for second grade students is available on the Highly Capable Issaquah School District webpage.
3rd - 5th Grade Smarter Balanced Testing Dates
Family Trips During Assessment Windows
As we have done in the past, family trips taken during assessment windows will be marked as Unexcused. This is because the data collected during these assessments informs our practice and supports your child's learning. Naturally, our preference is for families to travel during vacation periods outlined by the ISD. If your family needs to travel outside of those windows, please be aware of two things:
Absences during assessment windows are marked as unexcused
Per State Law:
5 or more unexcused absences in a month require a letter and a petition to be filled with the courts.
10 or more unexcused absences in a year require a letter and a petition to be filed with the courts.
Things to note:
Any absence is marked unexcused if you do not call prior to the absence.
A child arriving 2 hours or more after the start of the day is not a tardy. At that point, it is considered an absence.
Pre-Arranged absence forms are posted on our website. They are due to the office at least one week BEFORE the first day of the absence. Forms received out side of that window may not be received in time for processing and could result in an unexcused absence.
Pre-Arranged Absence Request forms may not be completed retroactively.
5th Grade Camp Parent Meeting
Wednesday, Jan. 29th
6:30-7:30 Grand Ridge Commons
5th Grade Camp
Mon-Wed April 27-29th
January 10.......Popcorn Friday
January 13......6:00PM 1st grade Spelling Bee
January 13......7:15PM 2nd grade Spelling Bee
January 14......6:00PM 3rd grade Spelling Bee
January 14......6:30PM District Reflections Reception
January 14......7:15PM 4th grade Spelling Bee
January 15......7:45AM Java with Jill
January 15......After School Movie
January 15......6:00PM 5th grade Spelling Bee
January 16......7:00PM PTSA General Membership Meeting
January 20......No School, Martin Luther King Jr. Day
January 22......6:00PM Talent Show
January 27......No School, Teacher Work Day
January 29......After School Movie
January 29......6:30 - 7:30 5th Grade Camp Parent Meeting - Grand Ridge Commons
January 31......1:40PM, Grizzly Guys, 2nd recesses
February 3.....Online Kindergarten enrollment opens
February 5.....6:00 - 7:00PM Parent Only Kindergarten Information Night, Grand Ridge Commons
February 6.....6:00PM, 5th Grade Concert
February 12....6:00 - 8:00, Family Engineering Night, Grand Ridge Commons
February 17-21....Mid-Winter Break
February 27......6:00PM Book Swap