Online textbook log-in: ClassLink (use your SHS network username and password, then select the TCI logo)
Assigned class surveys: Formative
Assigned class readings: Actively Learn
Digital work submissions: Turnitin
Reflection space: SeeSaw
Click here for link to audio files of TKAM
Today we worked on:
1. Quizzes: New Deal and TKAM Ch. 1-7
2. Writing in packets for chapters 6-7
3. Movie viewing of TKAM
4. Jr. Projects topics (chosen on Tuesday after break): JP Topics 2018.xlsx
5. Jr. Project seating survey:
Period 3&4: https://goo.gl/forms/W9ZFCuLX7LxVCgUG2
Period 5&6: https://goo.gl/forms/UMOx8E8ToNonRi9Z2
6. Work time on Creative 1930's project (due Friday)
Submit rationale for 1930's creative project to Turnitin.com
Bring Creative Project to class Friday.
Read TKAM Ch. 8
1. New Deal Presentations
2. TKAM discussion and writing on chap. 4&5
3. Wed. Timed Write
TKAM Ch. 6&7 - Quiz on chpaters 1-7 tomorrow
New Deal Quiz tomorrow - open notes
Continue working on 1930s Creative Project
1. Work time on 1930's creative project
2. New Deal Presentations
3. TKAM ch. 2 & 3 write and discussion. Watched John Green video (see google slides) on Southern Gothic.
HW:TKAM Ch. 4&5
Work on 1930's creative project
1. Writing prompt for TKAM ch. 1 in our notes
2. Notes on TKAM author and ch. 1
3. Listen to chapter TKAM ch. 2
4. New Deal Presentations
TKAM read ch. 3
Work on 1930s creative culminating project
Today we worked:
1. Map quiz
2. Intro 1930's culminating project (due Friday 2/16): 1930s and Escapism Culminating Project.docx
3. Link to New Deal presentations created by class:
Period 3/4: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1ndpZ1FCAXOnDMZ5RcofGugfCJJfDgq0Ra7N1fPyL7y8/edit?usp=sharing
Period 5/6: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1bZh8F42-WUexzDLzntYwrvY3tQiYYoIPx8Va_uPu0WY/edit?usp=sharing
4. Began New Deal presentations
5. Completed Steinbeck discussion and turned in worksheet
6. Intro to To Kill a Mockingbird (TKAM): TKAM Reading Guide 2018.docx
HW due Monday:
TKAM - Read chapter 1 and complete 2 reading questions (packet pg.6)
Fill out questions on goformative.com about your 1930's culminating project
1. Shared and turned in Guthrie Album covers
2. Steinbeck analysis - we will continue this tomorrow
3. Map study time
4. Recap of FDR inaugural address
5. Work time on New Deal Presentations
Be prepared to share New Deal presentations Friday
Map quiz Friday
1. Map study time
2. Golden Age of Hollywood notes (see google slides) and analysis: Hollywood Golden Age.docx
3. Superman comics link:Superman Comic.docx
4. Steinbeck introduction (see google slides) and assigned chapters for jigsaw: Steinbeck Notes.docx. If you were absent, please choose ONE of the chapters from this document to critically read: Steinbeck Jigsaw Texts.docx
HW due Thursday:
1. Woody Guthrie Album cover and analysis
2. Critical read of assigned Steinbeck chapter and answer the 4 individual questions in Steinbeck guided notes.
Reminder: Go watch The Great Gatsby!
1. Turned in FDR critical read and response
2. Individual analysis of Guthrie Dust Bowl Ballads Songs. Dust Bowl Ballads Link: https://genius.com/albums/Woody-guthrie/Dust-bowl-ballads
3. New Deal presentations research in library. Assignment: New Deal Presentation Instructions and Rubric.docx See link here for partner assignments: New Deal Group Assignments 2018.docx
20 min. of US Map study time (Quiz Fri)
Continue working on Guthrie analysis and Album cover (due Thurs)
1. Infographic Review and notes:
PERIOD 3/4 Infographics: https://docs.google.com/document/d/13mPQAHD7VM_49rsoVjQLaJVyapilSUeGa7eOXnaKRJE/edit?usp=sharing
PERIOD 5/6 Infographics: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1k58KpAKOHtFhLkcqwIbnG_5ipZsi7xb94OHHMhPAyqk/edit?usp=sharing
2. Turned in: Scottsboro viewing guide (period 5/6 also turned in Lange narrative)
3. FDR inaugural address (critically read and 1 page response) due Tuesday: Inaugural Speech of Franklin Delano Roosevelt.doc
4. Woody Guthrie analysis (due Tuesday). See google slides and Woody Guthrie.docx
HW Due Tuesday:
Woody Guthrie Worksheet
FDR Inaugural address
1. Map Study Time
2. Viewing film Scottsboro Boys and completed viewing guide.
Due Monday - Complete the reflection portion of the Scottsboro Boys viewing guide.
Period 5/6 - Lange Photo Narrative due Monday
2. Infographic work time. Submitted via googledoc. We completed a Feedback survey. If you need the link, see Ms. Petersen.
3. Finished "Stormy Weather" film and turned in viewing guide.
4. Took notes on the Dust Bowl and photojournalist Dorothea Lange
HW: Due Friday - Using your individual photo (if you were absent, see classroom file for documents):
1. Infographic group project (see agenda1/30 for details). Due Thursday after final 20 minute collaboration time. Submit via the google doc that is already shared with me.
2. Map study time
3. Watched first half of "Stormy Weather" documentary. If you were absent please view the first 20 minutes of the film via this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSfzFWU5LbY. Fill out this viewing guide: Stormy Weather American Century Video Guide.docx
1. New seats
2. US Map quiz introduced. Blank map:50 States Map.pdf
3. Intro Great Depression Causes:
Working with group to brainstorm on a google doc
Skimming Chapter 30
Assigning roles for research to create group infographic (due Thurs):
Congrats on finishing first semester!
1. Studying for finals - group review and independent review
Study hard and do your best on finals!
1. Independent Study time
2. Kahoot! and general questions about finals
HW: Study for finals!
1. Turning in our Speakeasy Reflection and notes from posters
2. Notes, discussion and analysis of the Harlem Renaissance. See google slides and this guided notes: Harlem Renaissance Notes - FULL.docx.
Start to study for Finals (see finals study guide under the "files" tab)
1920's Speakeasy Party Day!
Thank you for the delicious treats, amazing costumes and stimulating conversations!
Things we turned in today:
Due tomorrow: Reflection write up for the speakeasy (page 2 in from the goldenrod packet)
1. Finals study guide available under files.
2. Work day on prep for Speakeasy tomorrow!
HW due Tomorrow:
UPDATED: under the "Files" tab above, check out the FINAL REVIEW file for study guide and more!
1. Thesis writing for our 1920s celebrity poster
2. Resurgence of the KKK - notes and primary source analysis with discussion
3. Discussion of Confederate monuments in US (see google slides).
4. GG Lit Circle #3
5. GG Packets Stamped. Work time on GG socratic seminar questions: Speakeasy Day of Worksheet 2018.docx
Continue working on 1920's celebrity poster and prep for Thursday's GG seminar. Tomorrow is a work day.
1. Library research time on our 1920s celebrities
2. Discussing final due dates for any late work for this unit (Fri. Jan. 19th) and questions about Speakeasy Activity. Click here if your would like to get started on prepping for the Socratic seminar questions (work day on Wed.): GG Socratic Seminar Questions 2018.docx
3. GG Discussing Ch. 9
4. Watching the end of GG movie.
SS - Complete 1920s celebrity research and submit research document (with works cited) to Turnitin.com. Due beginning of class Tues.
LA - Finish GG reading guide (Due Tues.) and be prepared for Lit Circle #3 on Tuesday.
1. Assigning celebrity names for 1920s Speakeasy Activity.
2. Instructions for Speakeasy Activity:Speakeasy GG 1920s Instructions 2018.docx. We focused on instructions for biographical research.
3. Library work time on 1920s celebrity research.
4. Quiz on GG Ch. 7 and 8.
5. Watching Movie GG.
6. Turned in the Prosperity DBQ.
Finish GG - read Ch. 9
SS - Nothing due tomorrow - keep working on research.
1. Discussion on traditionalism vs. modernism 1920s and today
2. Prosperity DBQ (due Thurs.): Prosperity DBQ.docx
3. Introducing celebrities for 1920s speakeasy. We will select names tomorrow: Speakeasy Name Selection and Slang 2018.docx
4. Discussion of GG ch. 7. Climax of the book
5. Reading Ch. 8 together.
GG Ch. 8 - Complete reading packet.
Prosperity DBQ due thurs.
1. Viewing a documentary on the 1920s. If you were absent, please review information from chapter 28
2. Evidence gathering activity with the Red Scare articles.
3. We turned in our OPCVLs for the Red Scare
4. GG BreakoutEDU activity! Check-out posts on SeeSaw!
GG Ch. 7 due Wed.
Read and take notes on Chapter 29: Traditionalists vs. Modernists due Wed.
2. Intro 1920's Attitudes and Seattle General Strike (see unit 6 google slides)
3. Red Scare readings (OPCVL on two primary documents): Red Scare Palmer Raid Documents.doc
OPCVL reminders: opcvl note taking.docx
4. GG Lit Circle #2
5. Reading GG Ch. 7 (due Wed.)