Online textbook log-in: ClassLink (use your SHS network username and password, then select the TCI logo)
Assigned class surveys: Formative
Assigned class readings: Actively Learn
Digital work submissions: Turnitin
Reflection space: SeeSaw
Today we worked on:
1. Civil War Presentations
2. Notes on Civil War Battles - see google slides "Road to War" 11/22 section)
3. HF Seesaw activity to review end of novel (log-in to SeeSaw app to check-it out)
4. HF Review time for test. Recommended terms to study: Realism, satire, irony, vernacular, local color, diction. Optional test review worksheet:HF Plot Chart Review Sheet.docx
OPTIONAL If you would like to get a head-start on prepping for the Socratic seminar on Tuesday you may use this document:HF Socratic Seminar Prep 2017.docx
SS - Nothing - Congratulations on completing your SS Research Paper!
LA - Prep for MC Test on HF on Monday. Reading Guides will be collected on Monday
1. Civil War Presentations.
If you are absent for both today and tomorrow. Please read and take notes on Chapter 10. Submit on Monday.
If you are absent Wednesday please use information from Chapter 10 to complete the rest of your pink worksheet title "Civil War Presentations Notes" - Submit on Monday
2. HF Kahoot chapters 34-39
3. Reading in class chapter 40-41
Research Paper deadline 5pm Wednesday
LA - FINISH HF!!!! I will collect the reading guide on Monday
1. Civil War Presentations Prep period
2. Huck Finn Quote Analysis Activity: HF Quote Analysis Activity.docx. We did step 2 together and worked with a partner on step 3. We will work on step 4 tomorrow.
LA - HF chapters 37-39
SS - Bring whatever props are needed for your group's civil war presentation tomorrow.
1. Peer editing our Polished Drafts. You will turn in the polished draft and the peer edit form after you submit your final version. Please keep these papers.
If you were absent: Please use this peer edit form (SS Peer Edit Form.docx) and ask someone (friend, peer, sibling, parent) to provide some feedback to help you improve your paper.
2.Goformative.com "Essay Process Reflection"
3. HF Quiz Chapter 25-33
4. Analysis activity of chapters 26-33
5. Began to read chapter 34
LA - HF Chapters 34-36
SS -The final due date for your Research Paper is Wednesday 11/22. Submit to Turnitin.com only (No printed copy necessary)
1. Discussion of the cause of the Civil War
2. Your CHOICE to turn in either the Chapter 9 Road to War Worksheet OR the Slavery Opinions Worksheet (assigned 11/14).
3. Civil War Presentations. Steps 1 and 2 (if you are absent, see teacher for your group assignment)
4. Editing our Wednesday Writes
5. Work time on Huck Finn.
SS - PRINT and submit to turnitin.com Polished Draft of research paper.
LA - Be ready for reading check through ch.33
1. Wednesday Write focused on the symbol of the river
2. Began to read chapter 28. Chapter 28-30 due tomorrow
3. Instruction on block quotes, intros and conclusions (see Fall Research Writing Instructions Google Slides)
4. Time to work on intros and conclusions of rough draft
LA - Read HF
SS - Work on polished draft (due Friday)
1. Primary Source analysis on Slavery Opinions: Slavery Opinions and Worksheet.pdf2. Complete the backside of the worksheet using knowledge from the primary sources and your understanding of concepts from Chapter 9
3. HF River as a symbol activity
4. HF Work time on chapter 27
LA: HF ch. 27
SS: Worksheet due on Thursday. Bring Chapter 9 Worksheet Thursday.
Attend a performance of The Mousetrap and bring a stamped program (you will receive the stamp at the end of the performance) to class by Monday 11/20.
Show Times: November 15-18th at 7:00pm each night (November 18th has an additional show at 2:00pm)
1. HF Quiz Ch. 13-24
2. HF Discussion of ch. 21-24
3. Work time on SS Research Paper Rough Draft
LA - UPDATED HF chapters 25-26
SS - Bring a PRINTED copy of rough draft and submit to turnitin.com for class tomorrow.
1. Citing Sources Instruction (see google slides "Fall Research Paper Instruction"
2. Rough draft writing time. We will have one more in-class writing day on Monday.
3. goformative.com x2: "Writing Wednesday Reflection" and "Discussion participation reflection"
4. Writing Wednesday analysis and submission
5. HF Discussion of Chapter 19 and 20
6. Reading together Chapter 21
SS - Complete Ch. 9 Worksheet
LA - Read HF Ch. 22-24 - Reading Check (quiz!) on Monday
1. Discussion of the Feud
2. Writing Wednesday Timed Write on Morality
3. Notes on Immigration and Nativism (see google slides Unit 3 Civil War)
SS - Due tomorrow Outline of fall research project
SS - Due Monday Chapter 9 "Road to War" worksheet (see agenda 11/07)
LA - Updated: HF chapters 19-20
1. Using data like a historian. Link to post slavery data Period:
2. Work time on Road to Civil War Worksheet (we will continue to work on this in class tomorrow): The Road to the Civil War Ch.9.docx
3. HF critical quote analysis - work in small groups
4. Hatfield and McCoy background knowledge (see google slides)
5. Listening to Chapter 18 together.
SS - Keep working on your research paper OUTLINE (due Thurs.)
LA - Finish reading chapter 18
1. Turning in our works cited to Turnitin.com - using the "export" function from Noodle Tools.
2. Working on our paper outlines (can be done on NoodleTools or a Word or Google Doc):
3.HF discussion of themes and symbols
4. HF Discussion of Jim as a stereotype
5. Listening to Chapter 15
Updated Due dates:
Outline (only 3-levels) Due on Thursday 11/09
HF Chapters 15-17 due Tuesday
1. Thesis statement steps to success: See google slides "Fall Research Paper Instructions"
2. Library time: Sorting our note cards on NoodleTools and writing a thesis statement on the dashboard of NoodleTools
3. Reflection Friday looking at vocabulary we have worked on in our "AP Lit Terms Packet." Then an entry on SeeSaw:
4. HF Reading Quiz Ch. 1-12
5. HF discussion of Morality and activity evaluation Huck's decisions
SS -Finish your working thesis on NoodleTools
LA - Read HF CHANGE: chapters 13-14 only
1. SS Quiz - doc analysis
2. Critically reading excerpts from Fredrick Douglass' Autobiography: Douglass.doc (Due Tuesday)
3. Discussing HF Chapter 8 (see google slides)
4. Analyzing our Wed. Write and turning it in (see google slides)
5. HF work time.
SS - Total source cards = 6 and total note cards = 24
LA - HF through chapter 12 - be ready for comprehension quiz!
1. Library research time: 2 more sources and 8 more note cards
2. Writing Instruction (see HF google slides)
3. Wednesday Timed Write HF Writing Wednesday 1 2017.docx
SS - A total of 5 sources and 20 notecards
LA- HF reading CHANGE: read through chapter 8. We will read chapter 9 together at the beginning of class
Reminder: Doc. Analysis Quiz tomorrow. See agenda for Friday 10/27 for topics that might be covered on the quiz.
1. Research time in library. New required min. number of note cards per source is 4.
2. Huck Finn analysis of chapters 5-6. Satire notes and analysis of pg. 37-38. See google slides for satire definitions and this guided notes worksheet: Satire Guided Notes.docx
3. Listened to part of chapter 7 together.
Due tomorrow: a total of 3 sources and 12 note cards.
1. HF Analysis Ch. 1-3
2. Setting goals for how we will track evidence for the essay we will write at the end of the novel.
3. Listening to Chapter 4 and writing in our reading guide.
4. Library time for research on Fall research papers. We set-up our NoodleTools account and shared our projects with Ms. Petersen. If you are absent, please view the video under "files"->"Fall Research Paper Resources"
HF chapter 5-6
1 Source + notecards added to NoodleTools
1. Study guide for Quiz on 11/02: New Nation Quiz Study Guide.docx
2. Research paper topic selection: SS Fall Research Paper.doc. Please see all research paper resources and documents under the "files" option above.
3. Working on our Jackson DBQ paragraphs. See google slides for guide.
4. Discussing HF Reading guide:Unit 3 LA Huck Finn.docx
5. Talking about dialect and reading chapter 1 of HF. See google slides.
Please note resources for reading HF:
Complete Jackson DBQ - submit all (opcvl and paragraph) in one document to Turnitin.com by Monday
Choose topic and research question for Fall paper
Keep track of HF reading schedule (ch. 1-3 due on Monday)
1. Viewing The West Episode 2 "Empire on the Trails" and completing a viewing guide.
If you are absent today: please visit this website https://www.pbs.org/weta/thewest/program/episodes/two/index.htm. Read the introduction and choose 5 of the sections on the right side of the screen (see image below) to read and take notes on.
2. Discussion of the n-word. Reading and discussing Twain's use of irony and satire using the word: Mark Twain on Humanity of Slaves.docx. Viewing video clip (linked to google slides) about censoring Huck Finn in schools.
3. Respond to this survey PERIOD 3/4
Respond to this survey PERIOD 5/6:
LA - put your Huck Finn book in your backpack - it will live there!
SS - Continue Working on the Jackson DBQ - we will discuss evidence and thesis statements tomorrow in class.
1. -isms presentations
2. Lecture on historical and modern context for n-word. See google slides.
3. Work time on DBQ - see documents on agenda below 10/24
LA - Read and respond: Article- Father Talking About N-Word.docx
SS - Finish analysis of 10 primary sources of DBQ
2. Lecture notes on Mark Twain, Realism, and Humor (see google slides Unit 3)
3. Andrew Jackson DBQ: Choose which level you want (regular or challenge). Read the background essay. Begin to analyze documents using the OPCVL template in the word doc.
Andrew Jackson DBQ Reg. 11 Docs with intro.pdf
Andrew Jackson DBQ Challenge 15 Docs.pdf
Andrew Jackson DBQ Template.docx
Due Wednesday: Read intro and complete OPCVL for 3 documents.
Work Day Wednesday
Due Thursday: Complete OPCVL for total of 10 Documents
Due Friday: Choose evidence for paragraph
Due Monday: Response Paragraph submitted to Turnitin.com
1. Breakout EDU - collaborative problem solving and primary sources! Winners below:
HW: Changing America paragraph due Tuesday (see instructions 10/19 agenda)
Enjoy the long weekend!
2. -isms Quiz
3, Review and discussion of Ch. 8 Changing America events.
4. Source investigation - in class.
HW Due Tuesday: Analysis Paragraph on Ch. 8 - follow format listed below (click to enlarge)
1. Sharing our Presidential Toasts
2. How to take notes (teacher example:Changing America Ch. 8.3-6 Example Notes.pdf)
3. Work time for notes on Changing America
4. Work time on -isms project
ss- Finish Chapter 8 notes
LA - -isms projects - if you are presenting tomorrow - be ready!
LA - Study for Quiz